- Terms and Conditions
MAXIM WORLD TERMS & CONDITIONS FOR THE SUPPLY OF GOODS (B2B)
These Maxim World Terms & Conditions for the Supply of Good shall apply to all Contracts for the supply of Goods by Maxim World to the Customer unless otherwise agreed in writing between the Customer and a director of Maxim World.
These Conditions are effective from 01 September 2023.
1. DEFINITIONS AND INTERPRETATION
Business Day: a day other than a Saturday, Sunday or public holiday in the country and region in which the entity of the Maxim World Group with which the Customer concludes the Agreement is located.
Conditions: the terms and conditions set out in this document as amended from time to time in accordance with clause 11.3.
Contract: the contract between MW and the Customer for the sale and purchase of the Goods in accordance with these Conditions.
Customer: the company and/or organisation whose Order for the Goods is accepted by Maxim World.
Delivery Location: has the meaning given in clause 4.1.
Force Majeure Event: an event, circumstance or cause beyond the reasonable control of either Party which affects its ability to perform any of its obligations under the Contract including, but not limited to, acts of God, acts of public enemies, acts of government, whether legal or illegal, fire, flood, lightning, war, revolution, acts of terrorism, riot or civil commotion, epidemics, pandemics, quarantine restrictions, freight embargos, or severe weather, but excluding strikes, lock-outs or other industrial action, whether of the affected Party’s own employees or others.
Goods: the goods (or any part of them) set out in the Order.
Order: the Customer’s order for the Goods, as set out in the Customer’s purchase order form, the Customer’s written acceptance of the Maxim World’s quotation, or overleaf, as the case may be.
Parties:the Customer and MW collectively, and “Party” shall mean either one of them as the context requires.
Specification: any specification for the Goods, including any related plans and drawings, that is agreed in writing by the Customer and MW.
Maxim World or MW: means the respective entity of the Maxim World Group, with which the Customer concludes the Contract. Entities of the Maxim World Group are Maxim World Limited, Building 2, 10 Stonefield Way, Ruislip, HA4 0JS, United Kingdom, and its subsidiaries Maxim World US LLC and Maxim World Europe B.V. Further details of the subsidiaries are shown under “Contact” on MW’s website www.maximworld.com.
- A person includes a natural person, corporate or unincorporated body (whether or not having separate legal personality).
- A reference to a Party includes its successors and permitted assigns.
- A reference to legislation or a legislative provision is a reference to it as amended or re-enacted. A reference to legislation or a legislative provision includes all subordinate legislation made under that legislation or legislative provision.
- Any words following the terms including, include, in particular, for example or any similar expression shall be construed as illustrative and shall not limit the sense of the words, description, definition, phrase or term preceding those terms.
- Any reference to a masculine provision shall include reference to the feminine and neuter provisions and vice versa and reference to a singular provision shall include reference to the plural and vice versa.
- A reference to writing or written includes fax and email.
2. BASIS OF CONTRACT
- 2.1. These Conditions apply to the Contract to the exclusion of any other terms that the Customer seeks to impose or incorporate, or which are implied by law, trade custom, practice or course of dealing.
- 2.2. The Order constitutes an offer by the Customer to purchase the Goods in accordance with these Conditions. The Customer is responsible for ensuring that the terms of the Order and any applicable Specification are complete and accurate.
- 2.3. The Order shall only be deemed to be accepted when MW accepts the Order in writing (by issuing an invoice or otherwise), at which point the Contract shall come into existence.
- 2.4. The Customer waives any right it might otherwise have to rely on any term endorsed upon, delivered with or contained in any documents of the Customer that is inconsistent with these Conditions.
- 2.5. Any samples, drawings, descriptive matter or advertising produced by MW and any descriptions or illustrations contained in MW’s catalogues or brochures are produced for the sole purpose of giving an approximate idea of the Goods referred to in them. They shall not form part of the Contract nor have any contractual force.
- 2.6. A quotation for the Goods given by MW shall not constitute an offer. A quotation shall only be valid for the period stated on it or, if no period is stated, then a period of seven Business Days from its date of issue.
- 3.1. The Goods are described in MW’s catalogue as modified by any applicable Specification.
- 3.2. MW reserves the right to supply Goods of a different specification to the specification in the Order (for example if the specified Goods are out of stock) provided that the substitute Goods are in MW’s reasonable opinion equivalent in nature and quality and have equivalent characteristics as the goods specified in the Order. The Customer may cancel the Contract for such Goods and receive a refund (less Supplier’s delivery costs if any) if it notifies MW within three days of its receipt of acceptance of the Order. However, this cancellation right will not apply if the Goods have been received by the Customer and their packaging has been opened or they have been otherwise put to use. If the Customer cancels the Contract after the Goods have been delivered, then the Customer must return them to MW without undue delay and in any event not later than 7 days after the day on which it notifies its wish to cancel the Contract. If MW agrees to collect the Goods, the Customer must make them available for collection.
- 3.3. To the extent that the Goods are to be manufactured in accordance with a Specification supplied by the Customer, the Customer shall indemnify MW against all liabilities, costs, expenses, damages and losses (including any direct, indirect or consequential losses, loss of profit, loss of reputation and all interest, penalties and legal and other professional costs and expenses) suffered or incurred by MW in connection with any claim made against MW for actual or alleged infringement of a third party’s intellectual property rights arising out of or in connection with MW’s use of the Specification. This clause 3.3 shall survive termination of the Contract.
- 3.4. MW reserves the right to amend the specification of the Goods if required by any applicable statutory or regulatory requirement, and MW shall notify the Customer in any such event.
- 4.1. MW shall deliver the Goods to the location set out in the Order or such other location as the Parties may agree or make them available for collection by the Customer at such location, as agreed in the Contract (Delivery Location) at any time after MW notifies the Customer that the Goods are ready. If the Goods are to be collected by the Customer, the Customer shall collect the Goods from the Delivery Location within three Business Days of MW notifying the Customer that the Goods are ready.
- 4.2. Delivery is completed on the completion of (un)loading of the Goods at the Delivery Location.
- 4.3. Any dates quoted for delivery are approximate only, and the time of delivery is not of the essence. MW shall not be liable for any delay in delivery of the Goods that is caused by a Force Majeure Event or the Customer’s failure to provide MW with adequate delivery instructions or any other instructions that are relevant to the supply of the Goods, or where the Goods have been made to order for the Customer.
- 4.4. If MW fails to deliver the Goods, its liability shall be limited to the price of the Goods. MW shall have no liability for any failure to deliver the Goods to the extent that such failure is caused by a Force Majeure Event or the Customer’s failure to provide MW with adequate delivery instructions or any other instructions that are relevant to the supply of the Goods.
- 4.5. If the Customer fails to take or accept delivery of the Goods within three Business Days of MW notifying the Customer that the Goods are ready, then, except where such failure or delay is caused by a Force Majeure Event or MW’s failure to comply with its obligations under the Contract in respect of the Goods:
- delivery of the Goods shall be deemed to have been completed at 9.00 am on the third Business Day after the day on which MW notified the Customer that the Goods were ready; and
- MW shall store the Goods until delivery takes place, and shall be entitled to charge the Customer for all related costs and expenses (including insurance and any charges made by third parties such as warehouses and airport freight facilities) and to withhold the Goods until such costs, expenses and charges are paid.
- 4.6. If ten Business Days after the day on which the Supplier notified the Customer that the Goods were ready for delivery the Customer has not taken or accepted actual delivery of them, the Supplier may resell or otherwise dispose of part or all of the Goods and, after deducting reasonable storage and selling costs, account to the Customer for any excess over the price of the Goods or charge the Customer for any shortfall below the price of the Goods, which the Customer shall pay within three Business Days of date of invoice.
- 4.7. MW may deliver the Goods by instalments, which shall be invoiced and paid for separately. Each instalment shall constitute a separate contract. Any delay in delivery or defect in an instalment shall not entitle the Customer to cancel any other instalment.
5.1. MW warrants that on delivery the Goods shall:
- (without prejudice to clause 3) conform in all material respects with their description and any applicable Specification; and
- be free from material defects in design, material and workmanship.
- 5.2. Subject to clause 5.3, if:
- the Customer gives notice in writing to MW within a reasonable time (being not more than three Business Days) of discovery that some or all of the Goods do not comply with the warranty set out in clause 5.1;
- MW is given a reasonable opportunity of examining such Goods; and
- the Customer (if asked to do so by MW) returns such Goods to MW’s place of business at the Customer’s cost,
then MW shall, at its option, repair or replace the defective Goods, or refund the price of the defective Goods in full (which shall exclude costs of delivery, duties, transport and similar charges).
- 5.3. MW shall not be liable for the Goods’ failure to comply with the warranty set out in clause 5.1 if:
- the Customer makes any further use of such Goods after giving notice in accordance with clause 5.2;
- the defect arises because the Customer failed to follow MW’s oral or written instructions as to the storage, commissioning, installation, use and maintenance of the Goods or (if there are none) good trade practice regarding the same;
- the defect arises as a result of MW following any drawing, design or Specification supplied by the Customer;
- the Customer alters or repairs such Goods without the written consent of MW;
- the defect arises as a result of fair wear and tear, wilful damage, negligence, or abnormal storage (for example leading to water or heat damage) or working conditions; or
- the Goods differ from their description any applicable Specification as a result of changes made to ensure they comply with applicable statutory or regulatory requirements.
- 5.4. Except as provided in this clause 5, MW shall have no liability to the Customer in respect of the Goods’ failure to comply with the warranty set out in clause 5.1.
- 5.5. The terms implied by sections 13 to 15 of the Sale of Goods Act 1979 are, to the fullest extent permitted by law, excluded from the Contract.
- 5.6. These Conditions shall apply to any repaired or replacement Goods supplied by MW.
6. TITLE AND RISK
- 6.1. The risk in the Goods shall pass to the Customer on completion of delivery.
- 6.2. Title to the Goods shall not pass to the Customer until MW receives payment in full (in cash or cleared funds) for the Goods and any other goods that MW has supplied to the Customer in respect of which payment has become due, in which case title to the Goods shall pass at the time of payment of all such sums.
- 6.3. Until title to the Goods has passed to the Customer, the Customer shall:
- store the Goods separately from all other goods held by the Customer so that they remain readily identifiable as MW’s property;
- not remove, deface or obscure any identifying mark or packaging on or relating to the Goods;
- maintain the Goods in satisfactory condition and keep them insured against all risks for their full price from the date of delivery;
- notify MW immediately if it becomes subject to any of the events listed in clause 9.1(a) to clause 9.1(d); and(a) to clause 9.1(d); and
- give MW such information as MW may reasonably require from time to time relating to:
- the Goods; and
- the ongoing financial position of the Customer.
7. PRICE AND PAYMENT
- 7.1. The price of the Goods shall be the price set out in the Order, or, if no price is quoted, the price set out in MW’s published price list in force as at the date of delivery.
- 7.2. MW may, by giving notice to the Customer at any time before delivery, increase the price of the Goods to reflect any increase in the cost of the Goods that is due to:
- any factor beyond MW’s control (including foreign exchange fluctuations, increases in taxes and duties, and increases in labour, materials and other manufacturing costs);
- any request by the Customer to change the delivery date(s), quantities or types of Goods ordered, or the Specification; or
- any delay caused by any instructions of the Customer or failure of the Customer to give MW adequate or accurate information or instructions.
- 7.3. Unless otherwise agreed by MW in writing, the price of the Goods:
- excludes amounts in respect of value added tax (VAT), which the Customer shall additionally be liable to pay to MW at the prevailing rate, subject to the receipt of a valid VAT invoice; and
- excludes the costs and charges of packaging, insurance, delivery, duties and transport of the Goods, which shall be invoiced to the Customer in addition and may be itemised separately on the invoice.
- in accordance with any credit terms agreed by MW and confirmed in writing to the Customer or otherwise within seven days of the date of the invoice; and
- in full and in cleared funds to a bank account nominated in writing by MW; and
- time for payment shall be of the essence of the Contract.
8. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
- 8.1. The restrictions on liability in this clause 8 apply to every liability arising under or in connection with the Contract including liability in contract, tort (including negligence), misrepresentation, restitution or otherwise.
- 8.2. Nothing in the Contract limits any liability which cannot legally be limited, including liability for:
- death or personal injury caused by negligence;
- fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation.
- 8.3. Subject to clause 8.2, MW’s total liability to the Customer shall not exceed the price of the Goods concerned.
- 8.4. Subject to clause 8.2, the following types of loss are wholly excluded:
- loss of profits;
- loss of sales or business;
- loss of agreements or contracts;
- loss of anticipated savings;
- loss of use or corruption of software, data or information;
- loss of or damage to goodwill; and
- indirect or consequential loss.
- 8.5. This clause 8 shall survive the termination of the Contract.
- 9.1. Without limiting its other rights or remedies, MW may terminate this Contract with immediate effect by giving written notice to the Customer if:
- the Customer commits a material breach of any term of the Contract and (if such a breach is remediable) fails to remedy that breach within seven days of that Party being notified in writing to do so;
- the Customer takes any step or action in connection with its entering administration, provisional liquidation or any composition or arrangement with its creditors (other than in relation to a solvent restructuring), obtaining a moratorium, being wound up (whether voluntarily or by order of the court, unless for the purpose of a solvent restructuring), having a receiver appointed to any of its assets or ceasing to carry on business or, if the step or action is taken in another jurisdiction, in connection with any analogous procedure in the relevant jurisdiction;
- the Customer suspends, threatens to suspend, ceases or threatens to cease to carry on all or a substantial part of its business; or
- the Customer’s financial position deteriorates so far as to reasonably justify the opinion that its ability to give effect to the terms of the Contract is in jeopardy.
- 9.2. Without limiting its other rights or remedies, MW may suspend provision of the Goods under the Contract or any other contract between the Customer and MW if the Customer becomes subject to any of the events listed in clause (a) to clause (b) or MW reasonably believes that the Customer is about to become subject to any of them, or if the Customer fails to pay any amount due under this Contract on the due date for payment.
- 9.3. Without limiting its other rights or remedies, MW may terminate the Contract with immediate effect by giving written notice to the Customer if the Customer fails to pay any amount due under the Contract on the due date for payment.
- 9.4. On termination of the Contract for any reason the Customer shall immediately pay to MW all of MW’s outstanding unpaid invoices and interest and, in respect of Goods supplied but for which no invoice has been submitted, MW shall submit an invoice, which shall be payable by the Customer immediately on receipt.
- 9.5. Termination of the Contract, however arising, shall not affect any of the Parties’ rights and remedies that have accrued as at termination, including the right to claim damages in respect of any breach of the Contract which existed at or before the date of termination.
- 9.6. Any provision of the Contract that expressly or by implication is intended to come into or continue in force on or after termination of the Contract shall remain in full force and effect.
10. FORCE MAJEURE
Neither Party shall be in breach of the Contract nor liable for delay in performing, or failure to perform, any of its obligations under the Contract if such delay or failure result from a Force Majeure Event. In such circumstances the affected Party shall be entitled to a reasonable extension of the time for performing such obligations.
- 11.1. Assignment and other dealings.
- MW may at any time assign, transfer, mortgage, charge, subcontract, delegate, declare a trust over or deal in any other manner with all or any of its rights or obligations under the Contract.
- The Customer may not assign, transfer, mortgage, charge, subcontract, delegate, declare a trust over or deal in any other manner with any or all of its rights or obligations under the Contract without the prior written consent of MW.
- 11.2. Entire agreement.
- The Contract constitutes the entire agreement between the Parties and supersedes and extinguishes all previous agreements, promises, assurances, warranties, representations and understandings between them, whether written or oral, relating to its subject matter.
- Each Party agrees that it shall have no remedies in respect of any statement, representation, assurance or warranty (whether made innocently or negligently) that is not set out in the Contract. Each Party agrees that it shall have no claim for innocent or negligent misrepresentation or negligent misstatement based on any statement in the Contract.
- 11.3. Variation. No variation of this Contract shall be effective unless it is in writing and signed by the Parties (or their authorised representatives).
- 11.4. Waiver. No failure or delay by a Party to exercise any right or remedy provided under the Contract or by law shall constitute a waiver of that or any other right or remedy, nor shall it prevent or restrict the further exercise of that or any other right or remedy. No single or partial exercise of such right or remedy shall prevent or restrict the further exercise of that or any other right or remedy.
- 11.5. Severance. If any provision or part-provision of the Contract is or becomes invalid, illegal or unenforceable, it shall be deemed deleted, but that shall not affect the validity and enforceability of the rest of the Contract. If any provision of the Contract is deemed deleted under this clause 11.5 the Parties shall negotiate in good faith to agree a replacement provision that, to the greatest extent possible, achieves the intended commercial result of the original provision.
- 11.6. Notices.
Any notice or other communication given to a Party under or in connection with the Contract shall be in writing and shall be:
- delivered by hand or by pre-paid first-class post or other next working day delivery service at its registered office (if a company) or its principal place of business (in any other case); or
- sent by email to an address notified by each Party to the other.
Any notice or communication shall be deemed to have been received:
- if delivered by hand, at the time the notice is left at the proper address;
- if sent by pre-paid first-class post or other next working day delivery service, at 9.00 am on the second Business Day after posting; or
- if sent by email, at the time of transmission, or, if this time falls outside business hours in the place of receipt, when business hours resume. In this clause iii, business hours mean 9.00am to 5.00pm Monday to Friday on a day that is not a public holiday in the place of receipt.
- This clause does not apply to the service of any proceedings or other documents in any legal action or, where applicable, any arbitration or other method of dispute resolution.
- 11.7. Third party rights.
- Unless it expressly states otherwise, the Contract does not give rise to any rights under the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 to enforce any term of the Contract.
- The rights of the Parties to rescind or vary the Contract are not subject to the consent of any other person.
- 11.8. Governing law. The Contract, and any dispute or claim (including non-contractual disputes or claims) arising out of or in connection with it or its subject matter or formation, shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the law of England and Wales.
- 11.9. Jurisdiction. Each Party irrevocably agrees that the courts of England and Wales shall have exclusive jurisdiction to settle any dispute or claim (including non-contractual disputes or claims) arising out of or in connection with the Contract or its subject matter or formation.